Virtually invisible to the public, the Doerner Institut is situated in the heart of the Munich art district (“Kunstareal”). As an integral part of the Bavarian State Painting Collections since 1946, this institution is in charge of the rich collections of the Pinakotheken in Bavaria, which range from the 14th century all the way to contemporary art. Founded in 1937, the institute has from the start been committed to research artistic techniques and materials as well as to develop physical-chemical methods for examining cultural heritage.
Already the founder of the institute, Max Doerner professor at the Academy of Fine Arts and a well-known specialist in painting techniques , understood that a close cooperation of specialists in painting techniques nowadays art technologists , science and art history essentially contributes to the understanding and preservation of works of art. This is our mission until today.