logo

As described in the book mentioned and an earlier article on the period between 1945 and 1956 the institute has been integrated in the Bayerische Staatsgemäldesammlungen (Bavarian State Painting Collections) as early as 31 March 1946. The change in responsibility was accompanied by a change in the range of interests: plans for a conservator school headed by the restorer Reinhard Lischka were abandoned, employees such as the conservator Heinrich Neufang were reassigned to help with post-war reconstruction work and others had to leave the institute on account of their past Nazi activities. Only the laboratory of Heinz Roßmann managed to flourish. After a busy time providing expertises for the American military government, activities in material testing and painting techniques ended in the mid-1950s, the paint technology department was discontinued in 1962.

In 1964, the curator, art historian and restorer Dr. Christian Wolters (1912-1998) became director of the institute, which consisted of a laboratory and a conservation workshop at that time. Wolters was extraordinarily successful in reorientating the institute in the direction of art technology, and he helped it to gain worldwide recognition.